1. The potential to generate large amounts of revenue. An effective marketplace website can quickly become a source of significant income for its owners, as customers come to shop for the products they need or want.
2. Low capital investment needed in comparison to other businesses. Starting an online marketplace website doesn’t require a large capital investment, making it a good option for those who wish to start their own business with limited funds.
3. Customer reach is global. An online marketplace allows its owners to extend their reach beyond the local market and tap into an international audience, thus significantly increasing customer base and potential revenue.
1. Competitive marketplace environment. The digital marketplace is highly competitive, making it difficult for new entrants to establish a foothold in the market and compete with existing players.
2. Difficulties in establishing trust among customers. As customers are buying products from different vendors, they may be hesitant to trust the marketplace and its vendors. Therefore, it is important for the owners of a marketplace website to establish trust among customers by providing secure payment gateway options, good customer service and reliable returns policies.
3. Technical difficulties in setting up and running an online marketplace. As with any other business venture, there are technical aspects that need to be taken into consideration while setting up an online marketplace. These include designing the website, integrating APIs, ensuring secure payment gateway options and making sure that all data is stored securely. All this requires technical knowledge which can be difficult to acquire if you are new to the field.