1. Horse Gram Rasam: This tangy and delicious soup dish is absolutely packed with nutrients that provide a fun, flavorful experience. It is made by boiling horse gram in water along with tomato, tamarind, garlic, ginger and cumin. Enjoy it with steamed white rice!
2. Horse Gram Kootu: A nutritious Indian curry dish made with horse gram, vegetables and spices. It is best served with hot rice or chapati. To make this healthy dish, cook the horse gram in a pressure cooker until it’s soft, add vegetables of your choice, such as carrots and beans, along with chillies, curry leaves and cumin.
3. Horse Gram Payasam: This traditional South Indian dessert is made with horse gram, jaggery and ghee. To make it, first roast the horse gram in a pan until it’s golden brown and then combine with jaggery and milk in a pressure cooker. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to get an amazing creamy, sweet dessert.
4. Horse Gram Dosa: For a savory and spicy breakfast option, try this dosa made with horse gram, red chillies and spices. To make it, soak the horse gram overnight then mix with ground red chillies and spices to form a batter. Cook in an appam pan to get crispy and delicious dosas.
5. Horse Gram Vada: Another tasty way to enjoy this nutritious grain is by making vadas with it. To make these crunchy fritters, grind the soaked horse gram along with ginger, green chillies and curry leaves into a coarse batter. Deep fry in oil for about 5 minutes until golden. Enjoy it as a snack or with chutney!