Flax seeds are a superfood that is packed with nutrients and health benefits. Not only do they taste great, but their high fiber content also makes them ideal for use in many dishes. Here are five dishes where flax seeds are the main ingredient:
1. Spicy Flaxseed Pilaf: This flavorful and nutritious pilaf is loaded with spices, vegetables and flaxseeds. To make it, sauté onions, garlic and carrots in a skillet until softened. Add chilli powder, turmeric and coriander along with cooked basmati rice before stirring in flaxseeds and simmering for a few minutes.
2. Flaxseed Breakfast Porridge: Start your day with a wholesome porridge made from oats, chia seeds, coconut milk and flaxseeds. Cook the oats in boiling water for about 10 minutes before stirring in the remaining ingredients. Let sit for another 5 minutes before serving with honey or your favorite toppings.
3. Flaxseed Egg Salad: Combine cooked egg whites, chopped celery and mayonnaise with flaxseeds for a tasty sandwich filling. Serve on whole wheat toast or as a wrap along with lettuce and tomatoes for extra crunch.
4. Baked Flaxseed Chips: Toast flaxseeds in a pan over medium heat before transferring to a baking sheet and seasoning with garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and sea salt. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Roasted Vegetables with Flax Seeds: Toss diced potatoes, carrots and onions in olive oil before roasting in the oven. Sprinkle with flaxseeds after they have roasted for 20 minutes then continue baking until vegetables are tender.