Collard greens are a popular vegetable in the Southern United States, with a mild flavor and nutrient-rich properties. They can be used to make delicious and nutritious dishes that will leave you feeling satisfied. Here are five tasty options where Collard Greens is the star of the dish:
1. Traditional Collard Greens with Bacon: This classic Southern dish combines the smoky flavor of bacon and the leafy greens for a delicious side or main course. It’s made by first cooked bacon on low heat, then adding diced onion, minced garlic, chicken broth, and collard greens to the pan. Simmer until the greens are tender then serve.
2. Collard Greens & Lentils: This vegan option is perfect for an easy dinner or side dish. Combine onion, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and lentils in a pot and simmer until lentils are cooked through. Then add collard greens to the mixture and cook until they are tender. Serve over rice or quinoa for a hearty meal.
3. Collard Greens & Sweet Potato Soup: This creamy soup is full of flavor and nutrition. Start by cooking onion, garlic, sweet potato, and vegetable broth on low heat until the potatoes are soft. Then add collard greens to the pot and simmer until they are tender. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
4. Collard Greens & Chickpea Salad: This salad is a great light lunch or side dish. Cook onion, garlic, cumin seeds, chickpeas, and vegetable broth in a saucepan until the chickpeas are cooked through. Then, add collard greens to the mixture and cook until tender. Serve over a bed of lettuce or in a wrap for a tasty meal.
5. Collard Greens & Quinoa Pilaf: This hearty side dish is packed with protein and fiber making it an excellent choice for dinner or lunch. Start by cooking onion, garlic, quinoa and vegetable broth in a pot until the quinoa is cooked through. Then add collard greens to the mixture and simmer until they are tender. Serve warm or cold with roasted vegetables for a satisfying meal.