1. Establish a budget – How much money do you have to devote to starting your business? What is your timeline for launching?
2. Set up shop – Determine what software, hardware and other supplies you’ll need in order to get started.
3. Choose a style – Choose the type of illustrations you’d like to create and stick to it.
4. Get organized – Establish an accounting system, buy business insurance, and get your taxes in order.
5. Reach out to customers – Register with freelance job boards and promote your services on social media platforms.
6. Consider joining an organization – Joining a professional illustration association can provide you with networking opportunities and resources.
7. Build your portfolio – Collect samples of the work you’ve done and develop a website to showcase your skills.
8. Determine pricing – Research what other illustrators are charging and set competitive rates for your services.
9. Set up contracts – Create a contract that outlines all the details of each project you take on.
10. Celebrate success – Congratulate yourself for taking the leap and starting this business!