• Efficient way to use wood resources, as lumber yards handle both buying and selling of wood materials.
• Relatively low cost to start up a lumber yard compared to other businesses.
• Potential for high profits due to the high demand for wood materials.
• Variety of customers, from construction companies to hobbyists, who need lumber and other wood materials.
• High cost for land, as many lumber yards require large amounts of space to store the wood materials.
• Need to buy or lease heavy machinery and equipment in order to process the wood materials.
• Competitors in the industry may drive down prices and profits.
• Regulations from local governments and environmental agencies can be burdensome.
• Safety is a concern, as lumber yards deal with hazardous materials and equipment that can be dangerous if not handled properly.