Ivy gourd, or Coccinia grandis, is an unassuming vegetable that has been used in Indian cuisine for centuries. It has a subtle sweetness and crunchy texture that can be incorporated into many dishes. Here are five dishes where ivy gourd is the star of the show:
1. Ivy Gourd Poriyal: This traditional South Indian dish consists of stir-fried ivy gourd slices cooked in oil with mustard seeds, red chilies, and curry leaves. It’s a simple but flavorful side dish that pairs well with rice or roti.
2. Ivy Gourd Curry: This creamy curry starts with a base of onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes that is simmered in spices until thick and flavorful. The addition of cubed ivy gourd takes this dish to the next level!
3. Ivy Gourd Pakora: These crunchy fried fritters are made with a batter of chickpea flour, cilantro, and spices. The ivy gourd slices are added in the mix before they’re dropped into hot oil for frying. Enjoy these crunchy snacks with a side of tamarind chutney.
4. Ivy Gourd Upma: This savory breakfast dish is made by toasting semolina until lightly golden and then adding cooked ivy gourd, spices, and veggies. The result is a hearty and flavorful dish that’s sure to start your day off right!
5. Ivy Gourd Kootu: This classic Tamil Nadu dish combines cooked lentils with ivy gourd and a blend of spices to create a hearty stew that’s sure to please. Serve this dish over steamed rice for an easy weeknight dinner.