American groundnuts, aka peanuts, have been a beloved snack and food staple in the U.S. for many decades. But not many people know how versatile this unique legume is in cooking up delicious dishes. Here are five superior dishes where American groundnut serves as the main ingredient:
1. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich – This classic sandwich has been around for generations, providing quick energy during busy days. To make it, simply spread creamy peanut butter on two slices of wheat bread, top with your favorite jelly, then enjoy!
2. Peanut Butter Cookies – Soft and chewy peanut butter cookies are a classic American dessert. To bake up your own batch, start by creaming together butter, sugar and peanut butter. Add in flour, baking soda and salt, mix until smooth and then drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes and enjoy!
3. Peanut Butter Pie – Peanut butter pie is a decadent dessert that’s perfect for special occasions. To make, start with an unbaked 9-inch pie crust and spread creamy peanut butter over the bottom. Next, mix together condensed milk, cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth, then fold in whipped topping. Pour into the prepared crust and chill before serving.
4. Peanut Lo Mein – For a quick Asian-style meal, stir together cooked lo mein noodles with creamy peanut butter, soy sauce and honey for a delicious savory dish. Add in your favorite veggies for more flavor and crunch!
5. Boiled Peanuts – In the South, boiled peanuts are a tasty and popular snack. To make them, just add raw peanuts to salted boiling water and simmer until tender. Enjoy as is or with your favorite seasonings!