1. Create a Business Plan: This is the foundation of your restaurant and will serve as a guide through startup and beyond. Include details such as concept, location, target market, menu items, pricing, operations plan, etc.
2. Secure Financing: Depending on the scope of your business, you may need to secure financing from a variety of sources. Explore options such as grants, loans, investors and crowdfunding platforms.
3. Find a Location: Consider the size, traffic flow and visibility when choosing a location that best fits the concept of your family-style restaurant.
4. Secure Permits & Licenses: Obtain the necessary permits and licenses from your local licensing authority.
5. Design & Decorate: Design a space that reflects the concept of your restaurant, in addition to being comfortable and inviting for customers.
6. Choose Suppliers: Source quality ingredients for all menu items and create relationships with reliable suppliers.
7. Hire Employees: Recruit and hire staff that are committed to providing excellent customer service and adhere to your restaurant’s policies.
8. Train Employees: Provide comprehensive training for all employees in areas such as safety, food handling, customer service and the use of POS systems.
9. Test & Promote Menu Items: Prior to opening day, test menu items and create promotional campaigns to generate buzz around your family-style restaurant.
10. Launch: After preparation, you’re ready to open the doors of your family-style restaurant and welcome customers!