When you first get married, it seems like nothing can tear you apart. But over time, the little things can add up and before you know it, your marriage is on the rocks. If you want to keep your marriage alive and strong, try implementing some spiritual practices into your life. Whether it’s praying together, meditating, or simply taking time out for each other, these practices can help strengthen your bond and bring you closer together. So don’t wait until it’s too late – start working on your marriage today!
Table of contents
- Praying together as a couple
- Studying the Bible or other religious texts together
- Going to church or another place of worship together
- Taking turns performing acts of service for one another
- Planning regular date nights
- Checking in with each other about your emotional and spiritual needs
- Putting your relationship with your spouse above all others
- Taking time to verbally express your love and appreciation for one another
- Forgiving each other when arguments or disagreements arise
- Commit to spending time together each day, even if it’s just a few minutes
Praying together as a couple
When you pray together, you are sharing your innermost thoughts and feelings with each other and God. This can help to keep your relationship strong and prevent problems from developing.
Praying together can also help to resolve conflicts in a marriage. When you pray together, you are asking God to help you see the situation from your spouse’s perspective and to help you find a resolution that is acceptable to both of you.
Praying together can also be a way to show your love and commitment to each other. When you pray together, you are letting your spouse know that you are there for them no matter what. You are also telling them that you are willing to work together to make your marriage a success.
If you’re not used to praying together as a couple, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are a few tips:
Find a time when you can both be relaxed and free from distractions. It’s important to be able to focus on your prayer time together.
Decide who will start the prayer. You can take turns, or one person can start and the other can finish.
Be honest with each other. Don’t try to fake it or put on a show. This is a time for you to be real with each other and with God.
Keep it simple. There’s no need to use big words or fancy language. Just say what’s on your heart.
End with a hug or a kiss. This is a special moment for you to connect with each other physically as well as spiritually.
Studying the Bible or other religious texts together
This doesn’t have to be a dry, academic exercise – you can approach it with humor and openness, and use it as an opportunity to learn more about each other.
One benefit of studying the Bible or other religious texts together is that it can help you to communicate better. If you take the time to discuss what you’re reading, you’ll be able to share your thoughts and feelings on a deeper level. This can lead to a more satisfying relationship overall.
Another benefit is that it can help you to grow closer to God or your chosen religion. If you’re both committed to learning more about your faith, you’ll be able to support each other through the ups and downs of life. This can be a very strong foundation for your marriage.
Of course, you don’t have to be religious to benefit from studying the Bible or other religious texts together. If you’re both interested in learning about different faiths, it can be a very enlightening experience. You may even find that you have more in common than you thought.
Going to church or another place of worship together
For one thing, it can help you stay connected to each other spiritually. Additionally, going to church can also provide you with opportunities to meet other couples who can serve as positive role models for your own relationship. If you and your spouse are struggling, consider seeking out marital counseling from your church. This can be an invaluable resource for helping you work through difficult times.
Taking turns performing acts of service for one another
It may seem like a small thing, but making an effort to do something special for your spouse can make a big difference in your relationship. It shows that you care about them and are willing to do something for them, even if it’s not something you necessarily enjoy doing. Plus, it gives you both a chance to relax and enjoy each other’s company without having to worry about doing everything yourself.
One way to keep the spark alive in your marriage is to take turns performing acts of service for one another. This could be something as simple as cooking dinner or taking the dog for a walk. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but it should be something that your spouse would appreciate. If you’re not sure what to do, ask them! They’ll be more than happy to tell you what they need help with.
Planning regular date nights
No kids, no distractions, just quality time together. This will help keep the spark alive in your marriage and remind you why you fell in love in the first place.
Of course, planning regular date nights can be easier said than done. If you’re struggling to find the time or money for a regular date night, here are a few tips:
1. Get creative with your dates. Just because you can’t afford to go out for a fancy dinner doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun and romantic evening together. Get take-out from your favorite restaurant, have a picnic in your backyard, or make dinner together at home.
2. Make use of free or cheap activities. There are plenty of things you can do together that don’t cost a lot of money. Take a walk in the park, go for a bike ride, or visit a local museum.
3. Use babysitters or grandparents. If you have kids, it can be tough to find time for a date night. But it’s important to make the effort. Find a babysitter or ask grandparents to watch the kids for a few hours so you can focus on each other.
4. Schedule date nights in advance. One way to make sure you actually follow through with regular date nights is to schedule them in advance. Put them in your calendar or set a reminder on your phone. This way, you’ll be less likely to cancel or reschedule.
5. Don’t be afraid to try something new. Trying new things together can help keep the spark alive in your relationship. Go ice skating, take a dance class, or visit a new city together.
Checking in with each other about your emotional and spiritual needs
Take some time each week to share how you’re really feeling, what’s going on in your life, and what you need from your spouse. This can be a time to vent about the stresses of the week, share something you’re struggling with, or simply connect on a deeper level.
Making this time for each other is crucial to maintaining a strong emotional connection in your marriage. It can also help prevent problems from festering and becoming bigger issues down the line.
Putting your relationship with your spouse above all others
Here are some tips for keeping your spouse a priority:
1. Make time for each other every day. It doesn’t have to be hours at a time, but carving out even just 15 minutes to talk, listen, and connect with each other can make a big difference.
2. Plan regular date nights. Whether it’s a night out on the town or a cozy night in, making time for just the two of you is important.
3. Be thoughtful and affectionate. Little things like saying “I love you” often, cuddling, holding hands, and giving compliments can make a big impact on your relationship.
4. Communicate openly and honestly. Talking about both the good and the bad in your relationship will help you grow closer to each other.
5. Show gratitude. Appreciating your spouse for all they do for you is a great way to strengthen your bond.
Taking time to verbally express your love and appreciation for one another
A simple “I love you” can go a long way, but it’s also important to take the time to really share what you appreciate about your spouse. Why not write them a heartfelt letter expressing your love and gratitude, or tell them face-to-face what they mean to you?
It might seem like a small thing, but taking the time to express your love and appreciation for your spouse is one of the key ingredients to a lasting marriage. So don’t forget to tell them how much you care – often!
Forgiving each other when arguments or disagreements arise
It’s inevitable that arguments and disagreements will arise in any marriage. What’s important is how you handle those disagreements. If you can learn to forgive each other, it will go a long way toward keeping your marriage alive and strong.
There are many ways to forgiveness. You can start by simply saying “I’m sorry” and meaning it. You can also try to see things from your spouse’s perspective and understand where they’re coming from. It might not be easy, but it’s important to try.
You might also want to consider seeking counseling or therapy together. A professional can help you learn new ways to communicate and resolve conflict. If you’re willing to put in the work, forgiveness is possible and your marriage can be stronger than ever.
Commit to spending time together each day, even if it’s just a few minutes
Even if you’re both busy with work and other obligations, it’s important to set aside time for each other. Whether it’s going on a date night once a week, taking a weekend trip together, or just spending an hour talking every night, making time for each other is crucial to maintaining a strong marriage. It can be difficult to find time to be together, but it’s important to make the effort. If you’re both committed to your relationship, you’ll find a way to make it work.
So, these are some of the spiritual practices that you can do to help keep your marriage alive and thriving. What matters most is that you and your spouse find a practice or two (or more) that work for both of you and stick with them. Marriage is a lifelong journey, and it’s important to invest in it so you can enjoy all the happiness, love, and intimacy that come with it. Have you tried any of these spiritual practices in your own marriage? If so, what were the results? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!