West Indian gherkin, also known as cucamelon or mouse melon, is an incredibly versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are five delicious dishes featuring this unique fruit as the star ingredient.
1. Pickled West Indian Gherkins: This dish features the tangy flavor of West Indian gherkin pickles! To make this simple recipe you’ll need two cups of cider vinegar, 1/4 cup pickling salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar and your favorite spices. Slice up your cucamelons and cover them with the brine mixture and store them in a jar. Enjoy these pickles over salads or as an accompaniment to your favorite meal.
2. West Indian Gherkin and Potato Salad: This Mediterranean-style salad is hearty and filling! To make it, you’ll need two large potatoes (cooked and cubed), half a cup of diced West Indian gherkin, half a cup of pitted kalamata olives, one tablespoon of olive oil, two tablespoons of red wine vinegar and your favorite herbs. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Spicy West Indian Gherkin Salsa: Spice up your next Mexican-style meal with this delicious salsa! You’ll need one cup of diced West Indian gherkin, one finely chopped jalapeno pepper, half a red onion (finely chopped), two tablespoons of cilantro (chopped), juice of one lime and salt to taste. Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy with chips, tacos or burritos.
4. Grilled West Indian Gherkins: These grilled cucamelons pack a flavorful punch! You’ll need two cups of West Indian gherkins (halved), one tablespoon of olive oil, two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, one teaspoon of sugar, one teaspoon of garlic powder and salt to taste. Drizzle the gherkins with oil, vinegar, sugar and spices and place them on a hot grill for about 10 minutes until they’re lightly charred. Serve them as an appetizer or side dish.
5. West Indian Gherkin and Tomato Soup: This comforting soup is perfect for cold winter nights! To make it, you’ll need two cups of diced West Indian gherkin, two tablespoons of olive oil, one onion (minced), two cloves of garlic (minced), four cups of vegetable broth, one can of diced tomatoes and your favorite herbs. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onion until it’s soft. Add in garlic, gherkins and broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Lastly add in tomatoes and herbs and let the soup simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve this flavorful soup with some crusty bread on the side.