Purple bauhinia or butterfly tree is a flowering plant native to China. It has many culinary uses, and can be the star ingredient in some delicious dishes! Here are five that highlight its flavor and versatility:
1. Purple Bauhinia Fried Rice: This savory dish combines stir-fried white rice with fresh purple bauhinia, garlic, Chinese sausage, and a few aromatic spices. It’s a tasty meal that can be enjoyed as a main dish or side.
2. Braised Butterfly Tree: A classic Chinese dish, this comforting stew is made with sliced purple bauhinia, ground pork, and a rich mixture of flavorful sauces.
3. Butterfly Tree Honeynuts: A popular snack in China, these sweet nuts are deep-fried with a mix of honey and purple bauhinia leaves. They have a nutty flavor and crunchy texture.
4. Purple Bauhinia Soup: This flavorful soup combines shredded purple bauhinia leaves, dried shrimp, pork broth and a few vegetables to make a comforting meal perfect for cold days.
5. Stir-Fried Butterfly Tree with Shrimp: A delicious seafood dish that combines juicy shrimp with fresh purple bauhinia and a savory sauce for a complete meal.